The Asia Pacific League of Associations for Rheumatology (APLAR) invites applications from science and medical graduates from APLAR member societies for its APLAR Fellowship grant. Two (2) fellowship grants are available each year. The grant is to assist graduates to undertake an intensive or advanced study in clinical aspects or research methodology of either adult or paediatric rheumatology in a rheumatic disease unit outside his own country, preferably at an APLAR Center of Excellence, or others, for a minimum period of six (6) months. The APLAR Executive Committee will consider the option of extending the Fellowship duration to twelve (12) months if there is a clinical need. Ideally, the candidate would be able to do a research project during his training, particularly for those who apply for the 12 months grant. The successful candidate must have a long-term commitment to continue research or clinical work in his/her own country at the conclusion of the Fellowship. The grant is to cover accommodation and subsistence costs.
All successful fellows are required to submit a full report to the APLAR Executive Committee upon the completion of the Fellowship, together with a report from their supervisor. Additionally, for those who apply for the 12 months grant, they are required to submit data from the work carried out (if any) during the Fellowship for presentation at a subsequent APLAR Congress of Rheumatology, and for publication as a full scientific article in an international peer-reviewed journal, preferably the International Journal of the Rheumatic Diseases. An acknowledgment of the APLAR grant must be included in the manuscript. If the applicant fails to submit a report and a full scientific article for publication (if applicable) within six (6) months of completion of the attachment, the APLAR Executive committee will not accept further grant applications from applicants of the same country for a further one (1) year. An email and hard copy letter will also be sent to the Head of the Department where the applicant works and also to the President of the applicant’s national rheumatology society.
Only complete applications with the correct supporting documents will be accepted. The decision of the APLAR Executive Committee on the award of these Fellowships is final.
The offer is valid only for:
- Medical or science graduate of less than 40 years of age.
- Nationals of countries who are members of APLAR (clear of arrears for membership dues).
The following documents need to be enclosed with the application:
- Photocopy of birth certificate.
- Recommendation of the Head of Department where the applicant works at present.
- Recommendation of the Chairman or President of the national rheumatology society.
- A curriculum vitae including a recent 2 x 2 inch photograph.
- A written statement that the institute where the applicant wishes to work is able to accommodate him / her and the willingness of a Consultant to supervise the programme.
- A general outline of the clinical and/or research work the applicant wishes to undertake.
- A certificate of fluency in the host country’s language, if different from home country (not applicable for Chinese language). If the host country’s language is English, candidates should provide recent (within the past 1 year) evidence of English language competency such as obtaining the IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or OET (Occupational English Test), or PLAB test (Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board) of the General Medical Council of the United Kingdom.
- A certificate of ability to write the host country’s language at tertiary level.
- A reference of good standing from the Dean of the candidate’s medical school / university.
The amount of grant will be as follows:
- USD 2,000/month for Asia Pacific countries.
- USD 2,200/month for United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Japan.
- In addition, one (1) round trip economy class air-fare from the applicant’s home country to the host country will be reimbursed.
APPLICATION PERIOD WILL BE IN NOVEMBER 2019 – FEBRUARY/MARCH 2020
Disbursement of Funds
The grant will be disbursed every three (3) months. The first disbursement, for the first 3 months, will be transferred directly into the fellow’s account after his/her arrival and after a bank account has been opened in the host country. There will be a deduction of USD 1,000 in the last disbursement, which will only be transferred to the fellow’s bank account in their home country after their report and supervisor’s report have been received by the APLAR Executive Committee. For those on a 12 month Fellowship, a manuscript of the research done must be included before the final USD 1,000 is disbursed.
Applications for the extended APLAR Fellowship, for a period up to 12 months, must be stated up front when the candidate is applying for the Fellowship. The APLAR Executive Committee will not consider extensions of the APLAR Fellowship once the initial application has been approved.
FPH-SSR-APLAR Fellowship Grant is also available to all Member National Organisations to apply. This grant is applicable for candidates who wish to apply for fellowship programme in Singapore. The opening and closing date will be the same as the APLAR Fellowship Grant. More information can be found at the Singapore Society of Rheumatology website.
ARA-APLAR 2019 Scholarship to Attend and Present at the Joint Australian Rheumatology Association Annual Scientific Meeting and APLAR Congress
8-11 April, 2019