Rheumatology of APLAR region are now growing and the scientific meeting of APLAR has been held every year. However, each annual scientific meeting is independently organized by each organizing committee. Therefore, it is not easy to create our sustainable scientific interactions among rheumatologists from various APLAR countries in each field of rheumatology. Therefore, APLAR decided to establish SIG. The fields of the initial SIGs are SLE, RA, OA, Vasculitis, SpA and Genetics. However, we do not limit the fields. If the initial SIGs work well, we would like to expand the fields.
APLAR’s SIGs are:-
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
- Osteoarthritis (OA)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- Spondylitis (SpA)
- Scleroderma / Myositis
- Crystal-Induced Arthritis
- Ultrasound, Imaging & MRI
- APLAR-COPCORD Epidemiology
- Paediatric Rheumatology
Members of SIGs and their expected activities
Each member of SIGs should be nominated by his/her member national organization. Several convenors of SIGs are now selected from senior rheumatologists in the field and nominated by Executive Committee. In the near future, the members of each SIG could discuss and recommend convenor candidates. Executive Committee should approve them.
In principal, the members of each SIG should discuss and determine their activities together with their convenors. However, every activity should be reviewed and approved by Executive Committee of APLAR, because their activities are under the name of APLAR. APLAR Scientific Committee is the superior committee to SIGs.
Expected activities of SIGs are as follows
- Recommendation of members of APLAR Scientific Committee
- Recommendation of speakers of APLAR Review Course of annual scientific meetings of APLAR.
- Organization of symposia of annual scientific meetings of APLAR together with the local organization committee and APLAR Scientific Committee.
- Conduction of international collaborative studies in the related field.
- Planning and publishing of APLAR recommendation of rheumatic diseases.